04 January 2008

Room No. 666

Foreword: I havent written a short story since months now. I started on this one some days back. The genre is supernatural. The characters I pick are all inspired from real men and women who have touched me in some way or the other. After Kanishka got his due here (albeit with a gender reversal :-) its time now for Moi the great who IMHO is a brilliant human being. I have no idea wether I shall ever find the resolve to finish this story coz my writing has become very sporadic due to reverberations in personal and professional life. So dear readers, read as if there is no tommorow!

She was young and beautiful. But what would interest the reader is that Swati was single.

It was a business trip which brought her to Auckland. Meeting men all day had tired her. What fools, she thought as she hailed a taxi and barked, ‘Savoy Queen, Cook Street. And will ya please make it quick. Thanks’. She banged the door shut and lay her head back.

Swati Twain had a proud lineage, as was suggestive of the surname. However, she had not inherited any of the literary glitter of her fore-father. Born to an American father and an Indian mother, Swati Twain was a distinguished lawyer at a very young age. The taxi screeched to a halt and a porter with a decorated smile opened the door for the lady. She got out and walked briskly to the reception.

“Hi. My name is Swati Twain. I had booked for a single room yesterday. Could you please allot me the sea facing one.” The remark was an order thinly veiled as a request. The girl at the desk gaped at her screen and looked up with a remorseful expression’

“That would be Shania Twain”
(disgustfully) “Swaaaati Twain”
“Madame, I am afraid we don’t have any single occupancy sea facing left, we have a
double one but that’s closed for public”.
“What do you mean you don’t have any left. I am carrying your email confirmation?”
“Madame, it was unfortunately a mistake, I allotted the room to ..”
“Get me your manager will you?”
“Please ma’am .. I request you to be considerate. Would the double room be fine with you?
(Pause) “But am not paying anything extra”.
“Fine, Michael will you please take the lady’s luggage to room no. 666”

to be continued after an indeterminate period...

8 comments

Blogger Neer kuchh to bolti...

i like the "indeterminate" part the best! hope you have a great '08... it wouldnt come by next time.. you know! :)

11:04 PM  
Blogger Jas B kuchh to bolti...

"Swati Twain"! ;) Appropriate name!

5:13 AM  
Blogger AlterinG Abhishek kuchh to bolti...

Oh tera bhala ho jaye!!!

666 about 666 aur.... swaaaati!!

hmmmmmmmmmmm
machli!!!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Radha kuchh to bolti...

Swati Twain? hahaha!!

Hope the ups & downs in your life calm down soon & you're back in a more determinate time with the ending :)

5:32 AM  
Blogger J@$m!ne kuchh to bolti...

I was at work when I saw that you'd put up a short story. I couldn't wait to get back home and read it. The word 'supernatural' got me excited. And the suspense is killing me. You had better put up the next installment ASAP. Btw, I must confess, thats an interesting bunch of friends you've made. I wish I knew the real faces behind these characters.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

haha!!!
"However, she had not inherited any of the literary glitter of her fore-father".....haha!!! u got me laughing hard, 666 and "BLESS" you for that..... :)
i had no idea this was up here....... i am so busy trying to get my door into an/some establishment that will pay for my existence!!!! phew!!!!

And what's with supernatural and moi???? haha....u better give me my due and make it pretty ..haha ;DDD

7:23 AM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

* my foot into

10:52 AM  
Blogger suramya kuchh to bolti...

this is absolutely hilarious, I'm kicking myself for not reading this post earlier,the twain part was simply brilliant:)

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home