06 October 2007

Travelogue - Oman


Dates: 03/10/07 – 05/10/07 .. the month of October 2007
Reason of travel: Official; Mid year Offsite
Venue: Shangri La Palace Resort, Muscat

1. The countryside had a distinct India feel. The arrangement of houses, doors, parked vehicles outside had a characteristic prosperous North Indian flavor.
2. Mosques in Oman have a blue colored dome. I haven’t seen this in other Islamic countries I have been to. In fact this observation seemed so interesting that I actually thought it could be a very good idea to research about mosques in different countries. After some reasonable erudition, one may be able to judge the country by looking at the mosque alone!
3. Oman has the least GDP among all gulf countries, even tiny Bahrain is better off. There are only two international airports for an otherwise big country – Muscat and Salalah. Its clearly atleast 20 years behind its more illustrious neighbor.
4. Entire Oman is hilly and undulating. It was very pleasant to see hills and hillocks in the heart of the city.
5. Currency is strange! 1 Omani Rial = 1000 baisa. I was very surprised by this, usually countries have 100 as a lower denomination
6. Frankincense trees are most common and have an important place in local culture, I am not very sure how one looks like but I thought I saw them along the road.
7. Omanis generally have a darker complexion than other Arabs. Also, one can distinguish an Omani from his hat. Its unique. Have a look here.
8. Travel to Oman from UAE is easy and picturesque by road. Visa formalities are just 15 min pit stops. But let me drop a caution here, the petrol pumps in the Omani side are hopeless, get your Pringles, tyre pressure and excretions in the UAE side. The latter without the bounty of water would not be an indulging activity.
That’s all folks! Till I travel again. For more photos please write to me at tenthousandthunderingtyphoons@gmail.com

Labels: ,

7 comments

Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

haha...what a methodological travelogue.....informative but when do we get to know what fun u had there???? :)

I liked the thing about blue domes....that's really fascinating.....I know Muscat has one with golden dome.I Have seen it often featuring on Globalthemes...but the blue dome is a new tidbit of info.

And i know about Charlie Brown's pet expression "Good grief"....if u did not notice, the title is in quotes.....precisely for the same reason...i was hoping someone will see the connection between that and my Charlie Brown moment.......I have actually managed to sit down for past 3 days straight and upload all the survey data manually :)

8:06 PM  
Blogger KAD kuchh to bolti...

Oh so that is where you have been. The weather must have been very pleasant at this time of the year.

And I have a suggestion. Change your blog template. The white on black is very straining on the eyes.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Radha kuchh to bolti...

Wow, seems like a great trip!

6:10 AM  
Blogger AlterinG Abhishek kuchh to bolti...

very very interesting one

ur back?

4:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

That's cool manya..interesting to know about Oman..you certainly traveling third world ;-)

6:06 AM  
Blogger Lirun kuchh to bolti...

your observations remind me of mine travelling through morocco a month or two ago

http://emspeace.blogspot.com/search?q=morocco if you scroll down low enough you get to see photos as well

10:53 AM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

u got tagged, stylo....details on my On a slant blog..u better do it :)

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home