07 July 2007

Misr

I am reasonably erudite in Greek Mythology. During college, remember cracking 7 out of 10 hard core greek myth questions at a prestigious lone wolf quiz circa 2001-02.

However my fascination has always been directed towards two other mythologies - the Egyptian and the Incas. Needless to say, Peru and Egypt are two places I am desperate to travel. Caveat Emptor : Travel is strictly meant for academic purposes marked by fervent on the field notes scribbling and theme photography.

What attracted me to Egyptian myth is very weird to explain. Since I am the epitome of weirdity, it would not surprise readers that I was attracted to the phonetics of the names in Egyptian mythology. I just love the god names. Short words but sound so impactful if pronounced with intent. Heres a list, read aloud each one.

Amun, Anubis, Set, Bast, Bes, Dua, Geb, Hathor, Ka, Maat, Nut (noott), Min, Qetesh, Selket, Shu, Sobek, Thoth, Wepwawet

My fav are Amun, Nut and Thoth. If I had never heard that Iron Maiden song one lazy afternoon in my filthy hostel room, this blog would have been called Book of Amun-Ra published by Thoth.

Labels: , ,

6 comments

Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

do the Peru excursion from Florida...we'll join ya. :DD
Arka and I have been planning to do Machu Picchu ever since we landed here .....and from there we can go to Chile or rather Easter Island and then to Rio (if we r still not killed by that time :DDDD) ........apologies for intruding in your travel plans :)))

Hopefully your travel plans will materialize soon.I'd love to hear about these places.. :)
And will we get to have a look at those copious field notes????

9:32 PM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

and it's always between God and Devil for u???? u dont believe in human form, do u ??? ;)

9:35 PM  
Blogger Radha kuchh to bolti...

I loved visiting Egypt...the history is as fascinating as the mythology...the pharoahs, tutankhamen, nefertiti, akenaten, cheops (not sure about the spelling for any of them)...they are all such great stories !!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

I demand a short story, 666!!!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

do send the snaps and all stories from the places once you visit them..

2:41 AM  
Blogger suramya kuchh to bolti...

my favourite has always been isis, and the stories associated with her.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home