22 May 2007

On writing ghost stories


I have read quite a few ghost story writers .. and writing a supernatural short story primarily falls in two categories. This is entirely my observation

First style is the very simple standard XII english like that used by Ruskin Bond and Roald Dahl. It works beautifully. Second is the Grub Street/Dead Poets Society english used by Mary Shelley, Henry James (Turn of the Screw), Edgar Allan Poe. It also works beautifully. I try both styles but naturally fail miserably! I have almost completely given up the second style more out of incapability. I recall my writings were at their grotesque best during engineering now I prefer being simple and straight.

One author which I am currently reading is M.R.James. He is a class apart. I am actually very impressed by his writings primarily because I know how difficult it is to write a ghost short story (any short story for that matter). Strongly recommend.

PS: This might come as an expected shock to many but I have had this habit of reading one ghost story every night before going to sleep ha ha .. talk of lullabies! lalla lalla lori bhoot ki story

Update: Hate to disappoint my dear reader friends, but I unabashedly refuse any explanations to my persona non grata which includes my writings. Readers are free to interpret, contort, distort, misconstrue, abuse, praise, dignify, genuflect, mudsling, sympathize, empathize with all that is/shall be published on this webpage. Live and please let live. Simplio! . Thanks and Best Regards.

Labels: ,

6 comments

Blogger suramya kuchh to bolti...

your brave. ghosts scare me, unless they are friendly like casper :), not read many fictional ghost stories, but so called true events.

10:55 PM  
Blogger suramya kuchh to bolti...

and its been a long long time, glad to have u back on the blogging scene again

10:57 PM  
Blogger Radha kuchh to bolti...

So when are you going to explain the ending of your last story?????

4:05 PM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

lol @ "lalla lalla lori bhoot ki story"
i love to get scared ....its fun reading books like these at night by the side of candle side.... have never read good ghost fiction....have u tried Stephen King? I have never read any of his either buy he's known to be the king of horror stories..tho' not sure if horror is equivalent to ghost!!! i mean a story abt real human beings can very well in that territory too .......

and are u back yet??? :)

7:41 PM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

* but

7:43 PM  
Blogger Neer kuchh to bolti...

GOOD!! thats the "spirit"

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home