24 November 2006

Altaf versus Himesh

Who is better Altaf Raja or Himesh Reshammiya?

I feel like a innocent 7 year old trying to hide his pangs of embarassment when faced with the stoooopidest question "Beta, mummy pasand hai ya pappa?". That kid who replies “Mujhe aap ke padosi ki kuttiya pasand hai” would receive a kiss on the forehead from me. Displays of wisdom at such a precocious age needs to be encouraged.

Coming back to the choice between Scylla and Charybdis, I am a loyal admirer of both. Only after paying my reverential obeisance to both demi-gods, I finally decided to choose one out of the two. Altaf Raja. I mean, Altaf is right up there IMHO. Both A & H's target market is Just broken-ups, Indian railways, paan tapris, truck drivers, marriage processions, road side dhabas and engineering college boys hostels. A&H might just have penetrated places of ill-repute but here there is an established long-standing competition in Rekha songs.

Respective USPs. Himesh’s is cap and constipated vocals. Altaf’s is lyrics (refer appendix). Altaf’s lyrics are so poignant that they make me laugh (refer appendix). The touch and feel of any Altaf song is something which needs to be found in the lyrics (refer appendix). When the song is over, what one recalls is only the lyrics (refer appendix)

The much awaited Appendix:

1. Kar lo pyaar, kar lo pyaar, padh lo aaj subah ka parcha
Pyaar karoge to yaaro hoga muft mein charcha


2. Mein kapde badal ke jaauu kahan
Mein baal banau kiske liye


3. Hum woh deewane hai to taaza hawa lete hain
Khidkiya khol ke mausam ka maaza lete hain


PS: And I seriously believe in a enforcing a ban on translating Altaf lyrics in other languages!

5 comments

Anonymous Anonymous kuchh to bolti...

Altaf Rocks!!!!!!!!!

Tum to tahreh pardesi, yaad kya aaoge,subah pehle gaadi se ghar ko laut jaoge ...:-)) what say abt this?.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous kuchh to bolti...

I didn't mention anything about Himesh..
He sucks big time.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Jas B kuchh to bolti...

LOl@ your opening paragraph. Oh God, I just can't stop laughing.

I agree, Altaf's lyrics make ll laugh. There was this guy in the university that we all used to hate with passion. He liked Altaf's songs and hence we all chose to hate Altaf as well.

I kinda like Himesh's songs...more the music than anything else, though...

12:43 PM  
Blogger Abhishek Rudresh kuchh to bolti...

One of my favourite lines from AR (my God, I share my initials with him!):".Woh saal doosra tha, ye saal doosra hai...(some lines I had the audacity to forget).. Nayi gali me purana makaan kiska hai.." Truly, both timeless greats in their own right, though I'm partial to AR too.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous kuchh to bolti...

Music directors who also sing seem to be as bad as they get... how can v forget mr. anu malik..better known for his exploits on indian idol..

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home