18 March 2008

Rock Revival

The past few days have seen a revival of my interest in my preferred music genre - Rock. I shall write a few lines about this.

Now, I did only three memorable things during my engineering. Quizzing, listening to music and nothing besides this!. My under grad nostalgia is dominated by these three elements (in that order). My passion for music has always been self discovered. I never had a computer or music system to listen to mp3. All I had was a moribund walkman whose screws were as tight as the ones in my brains! And ah.. to say the least about its accoutrement - the earphones. Their little voice was heard only at the convenience of the most awkward angle from my neck, otherwise they believed in silent, non violent protests.

I remember buying countless audio cassettes without anyone recommending a purchase. Only years later would I realize that a woman in a mall with adequate liquidity is the quintessence of the purchasing at will instinct. A habit which I acquired during these shopping binges still persists in me, I always head straight to the Rock section in any music store. On innumerable afternoons I have bunked college (or vice versa indeed), lying on my filthy bed and yeah you guessed right, the neck positioned at an awkward angle! And the discoveries have shaped my life. One such afternoon, I chanced upon a song which would forever define (or destroy) my identity. Thus was born 666.

Returning to incumbency, the infrastructure behind my Rock Revival happens to be two ubiquitous websites - wikipedia and youtube. I am not sure how many people have explored the synergies here, but using the two in tandem is the key. Watch/hear a new song then read about the band history on wiki. I am enjoying it. Here are some notes to myself

1. I didnt quite like Glam Rock. Had heard a lot about Kiss but oh my holy gosh!
2. Damn.. I sure missed acquiring a taste for death metal. Its too late now.
3. Jim Morrisson died at 26. My!
4. Van Halen's vocalist cat and mouse was interesting to know. But Sammy Hagar is better than David Lee Roth.
5. Nightwish has certainly been the biggest revelation. I like symphony metal.
6. Rage Against The Machine. Oh shit. Censored.
7. Guns N Roses break up was disappointing.
8. Can we please have a clean no-bad-habits-band?

Update (20/03/08):

Jasmine mentions about a signature statement. Thank you girl for ringing the forgotten bell. It went "Hell freezes over when the winds of change blow across the dry county in the cold november rain". This statement has a interesting history. It was first concocted in school by me and a close friend to reflect the music we listened to in those days. 'Hell Freezes Over' - Eagles; 'Winds of Change' - Scorpions; 'Dry County' - Bon Jovi; 'November Rain' - Guns N Roses.

Radha has broached a view on Glam Rock. I am not much aware about this. The pioneers of this genre are Kiss and they are basically metrosexual performers with horrible hairdos, makeups, colored bodies. Bon Jovi and Bruce Springstein are certainly not Glam Rock.

Labels: , ,

5 comments

Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

Thanks for introducing me to Rock.

5:23 PM  
Blogger J@$m!ne kuchh to bolti...

Reminds me of a little something you came up with.. I saw it someplace I don't remember too well.. it was like a statement made up of song titles that you liked.. or something like that..
ring a bell?

2:17 AM  
Blogger Radha kuchh to bolti...

Obviously, you know your rock really well. I had no idea theres a genre called "Glam Rock". Is it the Bon Jovi/ Bruce Springsteen sort of rock; because they do look very glam !! :)

8:14 AM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

this one genre of music belongs to my husband....i go with more amiable sounds like folk and jazz :).....and yes reggae too but mostly only when it's coming from Bob Marley :)

4:54 AM  
Blogger Neer kuchh to bolti...

rock makes a nietzsche out of me...
"long live rock, the rock is dead"

oh by the way, how about: "the cure"? and you definitely should give "elysian fields" a dekko and well, "cranberries" and then.... the "rockers" graduate to "celtic" - my vote goes to Loreena McKennitt - try her!


p.s: the hiatus was one of hibernation of soul... see how the resurrection happened.. post-easter?!

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home