02 December 2006

My name is Nomfumaneko Yako

"I am fifteen years old. I started to be sick in May last year.

It was said I must have an HIV test. It was positive. My heart was very painful at the news, but I did not cry. The nurses told me I must not be scared and that if I take my medication, I am going to get better.

For a while I felt stronger, but now I cannot do anything. I am very weak. It is difficult for me to walk even a few steps. My sister helps me to wash. My family is supporting me. They come to sit with me every time I take my medication. I feel very happy because they show me that they really love me. I want to go back to school when I am better, so I can learn to be a nurse. My dream is to help other people who are very sick in the same way"

Last November Nomfumaneko died.

Her Aunt Ntobile Nkosi:

"It was very bad for us because we had hoped that she was going to live long after she was given the new pills. When I am alone, I just think of her. I remember she was a beautiful child"

Source: National Geographic Magazine Sept 2005. 'Voices of the stricken' - Listen to Nomfumaneko speaking at ngm.com/africa

1 comments

Blogger AJ ! Serendipity !!! kuchh to bolti...

tch tch. wish we could get a second chance at life.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home