29 May 2006

Convocation of Eagles

Aside: This post has nothing to do with eagles ... just got carried away by the fact that 'convocation' is a plural for a group of eagles just like Murder of crows, Parliament of owls, Unkindness of ravens, Exaltation of larks and selfishness of humans

I attended my first and last convocation on the 27th May 2006. My dispassionate observations of the triumphant proceedings were marred by only some contemplative aphorisms by the chief guest Mr. Deepak Jain, Dean of Kellogg School of Management. Otherwise the whole evening had only one point of interest ... the rituals followed in a convocation. The attire is something very interesting. I wonder what's the origin of this custom of wearing such gowns and quadrilateral caps with a tassle dangling from its centre. Perhaps the most intriguing custom is tossing the tassle from right to left after you take the pledge with the lit candle in hand. Why right to left ?? Amazing how some practices get evolved over the aeons.

I shall end with the contemplative aphorism which Mr. Deepak Jain spoke of ...

"When the length of your shadow exceeds your height, the sun has begun to set"

hhhhmmmmm....

3 comments

Blogger Fanaah kuchh to bolti...

And I missed it, my only graduation ceremony :(

5:36 PM  
Blogger Quirkilicious kuchh to bolti...

Hmm Indeed - Congrats my friend! We deserved it after the long and intense yr...its just a pity that the rest of Grp 5 was'nt around :)

6:32 PM  
Blogger NN kuchh to bolti...

OMG did he really say that!!!! :O
:D :D :D

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home