15 July 2010

This time for Africa

The world cup has ended. We have a new champion. Only the eight country ever to win the prestigious Jules Rimet Trophy.
I had been wanting to collect my thoughts on the month long festival which had changed my life recently. The hours spent watching TV shot up drastically and most notably late nights had begun. This world cup was special in another way. This is the first world cup after 1998 in France which I actually saw, actually followed, actually enjoyed. The world cup is not about randomly sitting on a night in front of the tube and watching the final between two European countries. The real joy is watching those two last teams alive wade their way through 32 other contenders. I am happy I experienced real joy. So lest this joy fades away into obscurity, let me condense some key moments which left me impressed.
Best Match: Uruguay Vs Ghana, Quaterfinal. I loved watching this match. It went on till 3 AM in the night and even after getting into bed sleep did not come for hours. The drama had just mesmerized me. Suarez' hand of god. Asamoah Gyan missing the penalty in the 29th minute of extra time. Uruguay winning on penalties. One entire continent heartbroken.
Second Best Match: Spain Vs Netherlands, Final. The best final since I knew what the world cup was. I hate penalty shootouts to decide a winner and love to see goals after the group stages. France 98 final between France & Brazil was great in that regard but it was one sided. However, El Matador against Oranje turned out as expected. Two extremely strong midfields cancelling each other out, resulting in either side having numerous opportunities to score. I cant remember how many times Netherlands or Spain should have scored. The tempo and intensity of the game was also high. 8 Dutch players and 5 Spanish given yellow cards! Throwing caution to the wind of fair play just to get that prize. In the end, it was a wonderful strike by Andreas Iniesta that sealed Spain's place in the history books. Loved it.
Best Player: Diego Forlan. 5 goals all at crucial moments when his team were usually trailing 1-0. He reminded me of the legendary Davor Suker of Croatia in 1998. Maybe it went unnoticed that Forlan was injured in the semi final clash against Netherlands but still played since Suarez was out suspended after his Hand of God. Even being unfit, he produced that spectacular equalizer, the long range curling kick. Pure individual brilliance.
Best Team: Germany. Best team at this world cup. One bad match is all it took eventually. A very young side with unknown names who are now world famous stars. Thomas Mueller, Mesut Oezil, Sami Khedira to name a few. But the cherry of the German cake was the great Miroslav Klose. I enjoyed this young team's attacking and free flowing football. The 4-0 demolition of Argentina was a treat.
Best Goal: Ahh this is a tough one aint it? Personally, I love goals which were executed with finesse, skill and technique dashed with individual brilliance. To be honest, I cant remember too many goals which fitted my criteria. But let me still try. One that comes to mind was the Diego Forlan strike against Germany, his fifth goal.

2014 the world cup will travel to ..guess where... Brazil! Anyone betting against Brazil to win the world cup '14? What does Paul say?

Labels:

3 comments

Blogger Mayank S kuchh to bolti...

Personally, my favourite world cup has always been 1998 and you know why. However, this one was more entertaining than last one. The only 2 things I didn't like were Germany losing to Spain and then the final match overall (I don't mind the final result but just the way the Dutch played football). Agree with you mainly on everything that Diego Forlan was the best player (much like Suker in '98) and Germany was by far the best performing team. Never saw them move in the field like this before. Hope that they win next time in Brazil against Brazil, it will be gold.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Jas B kuchh to bolti...

I absolutely loved the Uruguay-Ghana match too. I was torn between the two teams, I wanted both to proceed to the next level, too bad they were pitted against each other...

I second you, Diego Forlan is the best player, and reading thru his personal reasons for being a football player make him my new hero. And I loved the goals he scored!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

I loved your complete post. This world cup was equally special. Watching all those USA vs England(cheering against Brits), USA vs Ghana, Argentina vs Mexico, Argentina vs Germany , Spain vs Germany, Spain vs Netherlands games in Brit's Pub was a hell of experience. I don't think I can ever enjoy the same way. Brazil 2014 is in pipeline. Hope I can make it. No doubt Diego Forlan was best. Messi was disappointing. Germans were strong, but Spain and Netherlands showed absolute beauty of European soccer.

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home