25 July 2009

My Stand on SNS

SNS is not a hurried neologistic adventure of mine, and does not stand for sinusitis, perhaps worse: Social Networking Sites.

I have resisted the age old desire of vomiting my vituperations against this new age phenom, but only had ignored for the larger interest of civility. However, when a good friend of mine went about elaborately explaining the benefits and advantages of Facebook over Orkut, I thought the bell for regurgitation hath been rung. So I shall. Cover your noses please.

Firstly, let me admonish and ridicule the concept of social networking. We have two words there - Social and Networking. Each one means something in itself. Being social means here, and networking means yonder. So I still lack perspicuity in fathoming this juxtaposition called 'social networking'.
Second, using the internet to facilitate social networking is the primary cause of my stomach troubles. I strongly expound that the one and only medium for social networking should be the physical self in flesh and bones. The body, the skin, the voice, the emotions and not animated avataars or emoticons.
Third, I have got more friends than X. Y has added Z to her network. Hey X and Z have been interacting a lot with each other nowadays. Blurp!
Fourth, SNS are simply cheap surrogates for allowing lesser mortals achieve vanity which they could never manage in flesh and bones.
There are many more vitriolic blurps, but I am just tired of writing really. So for the illuminated cognoscenti which forms the readership of this blog, if they still wish to convince me of the wonderful merits of SNS, I am obstinately sorry. Please go ahead and enjoy the social networking and let it festoon your mental faculties with garlands of marigold. I prefer to be left out of this vaudeville.

P.S. - I have disabled comments on this post. This is just a precautionary measure, lest some SNS Don Juan start outpouring his acrimony!

Labels: