17 April 2009

A de'vote' citizen?

I am hugely disappointed. There is a gnawing sense of guilt in me. After all my attempts, I still would not cast my vote come 23rd April when polling happens here. :-(

Damn it, or should I say damn myself. This is touching hypocrisy. On one side I proclaim myself a jingoist, a person who loves anything and everything about India. The flip side - has never ever cast a vote! Maybe ashamed is a better word huh

In college, I was the typical iconoclastic rebel. The young blood who believes everything around him is erroneous and rebellion or being different is the solution. So I did not care to vote during 1999. Come 2004, I was travelling all over the country hence just spent my time looking at long queues of voters braving the heat just to make their infinitisimal voice heard. Come 2009, I again missed the voter registration due to failure in qualifing the eligibility norm of at least 6 months of continuous stay. Maybe exasperated is a better word huh

I dream of a utopian change, whereby ALL citizens whether they are in Chhapra in Bihar or Sharm Al Shaikh in Egypt can vote. I know its beyond me to figure out the national logistics, warehousing and co-ordination to effect this, but I am hopeful. One day all the righful citizens would be able to vote irrespective of their perambulations. Maybe optimist is a better word ..huh :-)

Labels:

6 comments

Blogger Jas B kuchh to bolti...

Arre kya sir, is baar bhi reh gaye???
I voted once in India, I was so excited at that time, the candidate won and I proclaimed that it was my vote that gave him the victory! :D

Yahan Kaneda mein bhi vote kiya, lekin wo candidate haar gayi! :P

2:28 AM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

Ok, I have a shameful confession to make: I have never voted in my life, either.....I wonder when i will get a chance to....I hope you get to exercise your right sooner than I may :)

5:07 AM  
Blogger Fighter Jet kuchh to bolti...

I could not vote cus I cant get a Voter ID card,cus I didnot stay at any place long enough to get a voter id card.Now if only the rules were sensible enough.

and morever,who will run behind the babaus!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

Same with me...feeling ashamed of myself...voicing so much about elections , but still not able to vote even once. :-(

3:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

@ All
It is evident none of us has ever voted! Appalling really.. and we clench our fists and grind our teeth and spew childhood expletives seeing 26/11.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Jas B kuchh to bolti...

Arre, you missed it, I HAVE voted in federal elections, Both In Indi and Canada!!!!!!!!!

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home