22 June 2009

Formula 2?

I have started following Formula 1 again. Again? if thats a justification at all.
Formula 1 was the second passion (first was soccer) in my life, which I had 'discovered' way way back when I was around here. I was in class XI and my life revolved around studies, studies. For the uninitiated majority who grew up in India's western region, class XI and XII are probably the most wasted years from a 'life' perspective for anyone growing in the states of UP, Bihar. They, their parents, their pets and their maid servants eat, drink and shit IIT. I was no different.

But a beacon from those days over 10 years yore, was the unsupressable passion I cultivated for this sport which no one around me had even heard. Nowadays, Formula 1 is a more of a status symbol of the Gen X. The 'hi fi' junta watches it, follows it, wears Ferrari and McLaren T shirts. When I got hooked, I had no influences or impressions to lay claim to.

So it feels 'strangely great' to be back following the season races, qualifying, race days. What's changed? To tell you the truth.. only one thing. ME.

There is no adrenaline rush, there are no fist thumping, there are no screams. I just watch it like a dud!! This weekend at Silverstone, Sebastian Vettel of the Brawn GP won his second title of the season. He is a young chap, a German (incidentally, those who remember another illustrious German). I guess when I was 17, these drivers were sort of inspiration, role models on the age vs achievement curve. Now, ten years hence, my point of view has shifted forwards and my old ass doesnt see any role models :-(

Labels: ,

10 comments

Blogger KAD kuchh to bolti...

Speaking of Formula 2 let me draw your attention to the current crisis F1 is in.

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=79263

8:20 PM  
Blogger Fighter Jet kuchh to bolti...

one single post..says so many about...a generation...well very interesting. :)

10:32 PM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

dont know much about any of the "formulas" in the world.....so dont have anything to say here :)

12:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

@ kanishka - you bet.. i am pretty glued to the cataclysmic events there!

@ FJ - indeed a generation! I still need to 'kickstart' my first love though.. soccer:-)

@ Moi - Ha ha .. that reminds me of the subject Physics. I struggled with it because there were so few formulas, only fundamentals!

7:18 AM  
Blogger Radha kuchh to bolti...

Hubby is a big fan, so I end up watching the race on most weekends although i've very little interest in it. He still watches it like a 17-yr old though....totally passionate abt it :)

5:08 PM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

..and I hated Trignometry 'coz of all the formulas one had to mug in class 11th!!!!!

12:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

To correct you, Vettel is not of Brawn , he belongs to Red Bull Team. Brawn(Barrichello, Button) is the newest team(formerly Honda) and is leading currently, it's kind of a record in F1 History. The current crisis and changes in rules have affected the game more. The fun has lost in oblivion. Anyways, I owe you. Because of you, I got into the game so much during engineering days.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

@ Radha - yea F1 fans 'adjust' the alternate sunday afternoons (India time i.e.) accordingly :-)

@ Moi - sin theta, cos theta and moi theta ha ha

@ Yogsma - Ahh.. faux paus!! yes he is from Red Bull Racing. That shows how much I have 'worn' out :-(. And it feels great to know at atleast I passed on the disease to someone :-)

7:31 AM  
Blogger Jas B kuchh to bolti...

I like watching it, but only when my brother is around! And not to mention WWE as well!

12:18 AM  
Blogger EQUINOX kuchh to bolti...

I feel what you say dude. Coincidentally I watched Silverstone after a 4 year hiatus. Could'nt believe it was such a long time since I had seen the prancing horses. Now I am inspired to make a trip to Indy!

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home