10 April 2008

5 Rules of Living

Foreword: The characters and situations are purely fictional. I often resort to vivifying my thoughts by bringing out simple examples.

Meet Mrs. Geetanjali Dhamdere. She lives in Khopoli, a suburb of a megapolis called Mumbai. Geeta is in her late thirties, has two children and works in a local auto parts dealer. She makes a handsome Rs. 13,400/- per month. Enough of background development, lets listen to Geeta’s list of woes –

My elder son has been expelled from school for molesting a girl in grade six.
The price of tomatoes has doubled to Rs 20 per kg. Can’t afford them anymore.
I wish my husband stop coming home drunk.
The local co-operative bank declared bankrupt. What about my money?
Pinky, my younger daughter lost her left eye in a cracker burst last year.

For Mrs. Dhamdere and millions others like her, life is replete with problems, sufferings, sobs and sniffles. If I ever meet her, I would have a chat with her over a cup of coffee. My introduction would be simple – Madam, I was born and brought up among wild animals like fate, misery, misfortune and have evolved a survival mechanism for myself which (atleast for me) works wonderfully. I call this “5 Rules of Living”. Think over them. Maybe they can work for you as well!

Rule 1: Define Yourself
The starting point is always you. So, please define yourself – your goals, your definition of happiness, your expectations etc. Note that this definition should be revised constantly. As a person grows old so must his definition mellow. Geeta must first ask which of the five points are painfully contrasting her self’s definition. The idea is don’t fit the list to yourself, fit yourself to the list of woes. The starting point is always you.

Rule 2: You are accountable for yourself
The earlier in life anyone learns this golden principle, the better. This flows from Rule 1 actually. Every individual should first and foremost bother about herself/himself and then look around. This is not to be confused with selfishness. If Geeta’s husband develops cancer of the liver, its his liver not hers and so follows the accountability. Tough I guess, given the human social complications in love, sympathy, empathy, my husband, my wife, my parents, my uncle. The earlier in life anyone learns this golden principle, the better.

Rule 3: Learn the principle of superimposition
This is indeed the elixir. When there is a problem at hand, often another tarries along and superimposes the former.. in Geeta’s case we see she has 5! The principle of superimposition states that the problem at hand helps forget the problem two hands away. So having too many problems is not that bad! Key is to learn the ability of pile them up based on urgency. Those who attempt to parallely process them, suffer. This is indeed the elixir

Rule 4: Stay Alive
Whatever happens, DON’T DIE, stay alive. Kill if you have to stay alive but don’t die.

Rule 5: Don’t forget Rule 4

Labels:

7 comments

Anonymous Anonymous kuchh to bolti...

Truly exceptional. However, which rule do you find the most difficult to get around? I think it is rule 1. Rule 1 is the essence of everything. Unless you define the problem you cannot solve it!

7:17 PM  
Blogger J@$m!ne kuchh to bolti...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:45 AM  
Blogger J@$m!ne kuchh to bolti...

Nice post.. I don't agree with Rule 2, but if it works for you, maybe it would for others too...

If I may add one of my own... Rule 6: Always remember,everybody has their fair share of problems,so don't compare!

5:46 AM  
Blogger Radha kuchh to bolti...

I'm going to call you "Guruji" now! :)

5:47 AM  
Blogger Chica, Cienna, and Cali kuchh to bolti...

is this coming from reading Geeta????
the book?? i am just wondering aloud here.......

lol @ "Guruji" :)

2:49 AM  
Blogger Fanaah kuchh to bolti...

I agree with point no. 4 (et 5), isnt that what lifes about-surviving it!

9:48 PM  
Blogger NN kuchh to bolti...

Rule 2 rules!

Rule 1 implies boundaries - can't do
Rules 3 requires sense of prioritization - don't have
Rule 4&5 - Don't understand.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home