12 August 2006

Semantica

I am in the mood of series these days :-) this one shall be called 'Semantica'

Concept: Semantics is the science of words and their meaning and the general sense of language usage. Semantica is unfortunately not a heavy metal band, but a series on words & origins which in my opinion score high on the blogability quotient. The idea of a series is for ease @ searching. Many moons later if you recall reading about the word on my dark sanctotum just search for Semantica*.

Genesis: I have always been a vocab freak. Over the years my writing has mellowed and tempered a lot. During my quizzing heydays, etymology was one of my forte. Now when the sun has set on me, there remains but a vexation towards words I have never seen before. The desire to assuage this peeve manifests in the form of 'Semantica'

Modus Operandi: Simple! Whenever I come across a word with hits me I shall research it write about it.

To start off ...

Bummel: I bought this book 'Three men on a bummel' and the peeve surfaced. I had never heard of this word before. Googling alleviated my irritation. Bummel aint a english word at all !! Its german for a short journey with no end. Swear I could do with a bummel or two

10 comments

Blogger Fanaah kuchh to bolti...

Etymology is quite fascinating. But many words in the English language are derived from other languages so why the surprise that bummel is german?

Once your done writing a few, send the list for me to read!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Arkus Caesar kuchh to bolti...

666,
nowthis is a series of posts i am definitely going to keep track of...[flooded with nostalgia]...those were the days buddy...BTW dude do you have the Qs /PPt of anny of our quizzes..my comp is merely worth its wieght in electronic raddi and have lost all my quiz archives..hlp me brother by sending me some stuuff, pronto!!..there's mucho money to be won here and it would help subsidise my tuition fee!!

9:24 AM  
Blogger EQUINOX kuchh to bolti...

a good start!!.. hope it turns out to be an interesting bummel too!!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

great to know about Semantica..that is also my research topic as semantics of programming languages.Your blog is going to be more interesting now onwards!!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

@ Fanaah, Equinox & Yogsma: Keep yourself glued.

@ Arkus: Ummm :-) .. Have the stuff, will send it across once I am a lil free.

9:13 PM  
Blogger KAD kuchh to bolti...

Oh please cc me on the etymology list as well. Mucho money to be made by that via my classes :P

9:04 AM  
Blogger Arkus Caesar kuchh to bolti...

brother.. i tried playing around with page widhs..some good things happened, and some bad..but my problem still remains!!

2:22 PM  
Blogger NN kuchh to bolti...

Did you know that 'proxy' stands for 'promiscuous' ?

11:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

@nn: I disagree. Pls mail me the source.

5:45 PM  
Blogger NN kuchh to bolti...

It was in one of my BCA text books. I dont even remember which one ...and i can't even mail it to u.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home