10 March 2006

My Tryst with S.P.Jain - I

This story begins on a cold winter morning. Tuesday 4th January 2005. My office in Aundh. I typed 'manizoya' purfunctorily keyed in the password and hit enter. A mail.

From: "varsha"( varshap@spjimr.ernet.in)
Subject: Interview Call for Admissions PGDM 2005-2007
To: manizoya@yahoo.com


Dear Mahajan Manish,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been short listed for the Interview process of the PGDM Course (Academic Year 2005 - 2007) for the specialization Marketing Management

Venue: S.P.Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai.

Dates : You are free to choose two possible interview dates from the list in order of preference. Once you have made your choice, you will not be allowed to change your preference at a later date

I was happy. I chose the farthest date available. It was 20th February 2005.

What followed was a frenetic month long preparation with my flatmate Prafull Mittal who also had a call from SPJIMR. Business World cover stories were read, re-read. Mock group interviews, personal interviews at IMS. Every thread on pagal guy was devoured. It is here that i 'met' someone who went with the name Kanishka Agiwal and became an ardent reader of all his posts. As the date drew nearer the anxiety increased. The famed first round group interview of S.P.Jain was already folklore among the call getters. Clearing the first round was as objective as the clearing the Kashmir issue. Meanwhile my friend Prafull was done with his interview and had mismanaged to clear the dreaded first round. I waited for my calling. It arrived. 20th Feb.

0 comments

Post a Comment

<< Home