15 February 2011

The books which I dont read

I am a terrible book reader. That's one weakness of mine which I have never managed to overcome, inspite effort and access to role models for idolatry. Sometimes it amuses me to think how can I be a so-called good writer if I dont read at all? Over the past several years I have met and known young and old who vaunt a 'I have read this' list which makes mine lilliputian in comparision. BUT majority of these populace are not great writers! So clearly the hypothesis which is evolving in my mind suggests that good reading does not necessarily translate into good writing. If there exists a correlation, it is surely positive but apparently not strong.
So what makes a person write beautifully? The key, IMHO is her/his mind. The ability to think. An arsenal of nouns, verbs, adjectives is a definite plus but not absolutely essential, as beauty in converting thought to words lies in the discerning choice of words. A good understanding of people, their mores and whims, likes and dislikes adds to the flavour of writing.
Anyways I came here to post a list of books in my rusty possession (some bought some acquired but none purloined:-). Most of these I am yet to begin reading.

Labels:

5 comments

Blogger Neer kuchh to bolti...

where are you?? also, where is your book-to-be-published?? hows marriage??

11:28 AM  
Blogger Fighter Jet kuchh to bolti...

I have one book from the list too!And even I havent read it :)
The interpratation of the dream!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Fanaah kuchh to bolti...

I was thinking that day...the one that reads too much, his mind is oft filled with clutter - and that influences what one writes.

The one that is 'no mind' writes his own thoughts from his own experience (not borrowed, or influenced) and there by bringing his own view...makes good writing

2:36 PM  
Blogger Jas B kuchh to bolti...

:) "Ghost stories, 50 Ghost Stories, 50 more Ghost Stories, Selected Ghost Stories......" so on and so forth. Do we see a trend here :D

How have you been dear friend???

10:45 PM  
Blogger Jas B kuchh to bolti...

I have all the Diary of a Wimpy kid series, have read two, 3 still awaiting to be read. :)

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home