16 September 2006

Reviews: Movie

An American Haunting

The only real reason to watch was the tagline 'Based on true events'. It doesnt add any value to my research on the supernatural. A very ordinary movie. The baap of all exorcism movies is the one and only 'The Exorcist'. This is one movie I have never had the guts to see again, it had a seminal effect on me as I was growing up back then in the wonder years.

But all exorcism movies can be scary. My only 'dislike' towards exorcist movies is the recurring theme of God and more irritatingly the Church.

Ok.. so what do I 'like'? In all the innumerable horror/supernatural movies which I have watched, I have always scouted for one specific theme. The interface. There is a living world and there is the non-living world. The visual or auditory representation of the non-living world per se doesnt interest me. The fear or bravado of the living world towards the non-living doesnt interest me. The logic or its lack in events potrayed doesnt interest me. The point of interest is the interface between the two worlds. Anyone who writes ghost stories will understand what I mean by an interface.

To wrap up .. An American Haunting - Avoid

2 comments

Blogger NN kuchh to bolti...

Have you see 'The Shining' by Kubrik?

11:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown kuchh to bolti...

No

I recall you and aditi educating me about the wonders of japanese, chinese horror movies. Still havent taken a dig at them :-)

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home